Is the garage door on your home in Northern Illinois or Southern Wisconsin showing signs of wear and tear? Would you describe your door as shabby, rickety, battered, or outdated? You don’t have to live that way!
Look around your neighborhood. There’s a good chance that your dilapidated garage door is not the norm. Chances are you’ll see some other garage doors that are modern, stylish, and provide excellent curb appeal. With a garage door replacement, you can have the same!
Aside from the lack of visual appeal, if your garage door is old, it’s probably not mechanically in optimal condition. In this article, we’ll discuss ways to know it’s time to invest in a garage door replacement.
Signs You Need a Garage Door Replacement
How can you tell if it’s time to schedule a garage door replacement? Here are several issues to consider:
- Operation: If your door goes up and down in a jerky motion, gets stuck halfway through a cycle, or doesn’t budge at all, a garage door replacement may be needed.
- Speed: Is the garage door going up and down at the same rate of speed as it did when it was new? This may be difficult to notice as the door will likely slow down a little at a time, but try to pay attention to how quickly the door opens and closes. A slow-moving garage door indicates issues.
- Noise: Your door should not be excessively loud. Grinding and screeching noises are a sign you need garage door repair.
- Safety: Old garage doors are more likely to cause injury from broken parts or malfunctions. Misaligned tracks, broken springs, and frayed cables all pose a safety risk.
- Security: Is the garage door closing properly to the degree that it is not easily breached? One of the primary functions of the garage door is to keep the unwanted out, including pests and intruders. If the panels in the door are so loose to the extent you can see the light around their edges, consider a garage door replacement!
- Appearance: A tired and worn-out garage door impacts your home’s curb appeal. If you’re considering selling your home, the garage door’s appearance is even more important and can play a major factor in attracting potential buyers.
- Technology: If your garage door is old enough, you may not have the latest technology at your fingertips, such as a garage door you can operate from anywhere with your smartphone.
- Noticeable Damage: Rust, dents, corrosion, and other obvious damage should be considered. If someone drove a car into the garage door and the damage has affected more than 1-2 panels, a complete garage door replacement might be the best option.
A Garage Door Replacement Offers Durability & Modern Features
In years gone by, some manufacturers of garage doors made garage doors that were, plainly put, cheap. Some were constructed of flimsy materials and lacked insulation. The rails were constructed with thinner-grade metal. The rollers were cheaper. The springs were brittle and lost their strength over time. Garage door openers were also subpar.
There are garage doors available today that are so visually superior that they’ll transform the look of your garage and enhance the value of your home. Today, better quality garage doors are available, and if you opt for a garage door replacement, the potential is tremendous.
Replace an Outdated Garage Door With a New Style
If the style of your current garage door is outdated, the good news is, You Have Choices.
Garage doors come in a variety of styles and materials. Today, there are garage doors that are stylistically outstanding. They put the WOW factor in a home’s exterior and really enhance the property in general. For instance, there are garage doors that are natural and stained wood that appear as though designed for use in a country estate.
Some overhead garage doors even have the appearance of stable doors that would swing out to open. Metal (usually steel or aluminum) and fiberglass garage doors are also more stylish today, and they come insulated. An insulated garage door is a must if you want to improve the energy efficiency of your home.
Garage Door Materials & Styles to Choose From:
- Faux Wood
- Carriage House
Some garage doors have windows. Some have molding. Customization options are endless with modern garage doors.
In terms of quality, you want a garage door that will last. You want a garage door that will stand up to harsh weather conditions. Beyond quality, however, you also want to consider the ambiance of your new garage door. What style fits your garage and home the best? What color is ideal?
With some materials, such as a vinyl garage door, the color on the surface is the color of the material throughout. In this case, if you scratch the garage door, you won’t expose the color of the subsurface material, making scratches less apparent.
Never Attempt a DIY Garage Door Replacement: Call a Professional!
Once you’ve decided a garage door replacement is right for you, it’s time to think about installation. Resist the urge to do it yourself. You can go to a big, home-supply box store to buy a garage door. It will come with instructions, and if you follow them carefully, you may do relatively OK, but garage door installation without proper training and tools is never a good idea.
Installing a garage door is dangerous. Garage doors are large and heavy. To make it easier to raise and lower the door, whether by hand or with a garage door opener, large springs assist in lifting the garage door and controlling its descent when closing. These springs keep the garage door from slamming to the ground when closing, and they’re under substantial tension. If that tension is unleashed, someone may get hurt. This is why it’s best to call in a professional for this type of project. Garage door repair and replacement simply don’t make for good DIY projects.
Ready to Upgrade Your Garage Door? We Can Help!
As homeowners, we can’t expect our garage doors to last forever. Sometimes garage door repair is enough to offer temporary solutions, but a garage door technician can look at your old garage door and see if it’s worth salvaging. With proper maintenance, you can extend the life of your garage door.
If you’re ready for a garage door replacement near Round Lake Park, IL, Garage Doors and More is here to help! We have experience with garage door installation and repair and can recommend tailored solutions for your door. We can help you choose a garage door style and will ensure you have a garage door opener that is suitably paired with your new door. Contact us today!